Terroristic Threat Lawyer in Austin, Texas
CONTACT US TODAY AT 512-457-5200
The Texas Penal Code defines a terroristic threat as a threat that is made in regards to violence towards a person or property. A terroristic threat usually involves emotional trauma as opposed to physical injury. Examples of actions which may constitute a terroristic threat charge include:
• An action that might cause an emergency crew to feel like they cannot complete their duties.
• An action that places someone in fear of imminent and serious bodily injury.
• Preventing or interrupting the occupation of a public building, a place someone works at, a car or plane, etc.
• Causing impairment or interruption with a telephone service, public transport, water, gas, or power supply.
• Influencing the conduct or activities of a branch or agency of the federal/state government.
If you or someone that you know has been charged with the crime of committing a terroristic threat, we can help. Jason Trumpler has over 15-years of experience and will fight to get your charges reduced or dismissed. If necessary, he will fight your case in front of a jury. Call us today at 512-457-5200.
Typically, a terroristic threat is charged as a Class B Misdemeanor. If you are convicted of a Class B Misdemeanor, you may be sentenced to up to 6-months and jail and a fine of up to $2,000.
However, if you are convicted of making a terroristic threat against a family member or a public servant (such a police officer), or if the alleged terroristic threat causes a financial loss of at least $1,500 to the owner of the room or building, the charge may be enhanced to a Class A Misdemeanor. If you are convicted of a Class A Misdemeanor, you may be sentenced to up to 1-year in jail and a fine of up to $4,000.
In addition to jail time and financial penalties, it can be harder to find employment and housing with a conviction on your records.
If you have been accused of the crime of a terroristic threat, contact us today. Jason Trumpler has successfully prevented hundreds of individuals from receiving conviction on their records. He currently practices in Central Texas counties including Travis, Williamson, Hays, Coryell, Comal, Lee, Burnet, and Bastrop. Call our office today at 512-457-5200.