False Report to Peace Officer, Federal Investigator, or Law Enforcement Employee in Texas

Contact Us Today at (512) 359-3300

Making a false report to a peace officer, such a police officer is a crime in the State of Texas. According to the Texas Penal Code, it is a crime to “knowingly make a false statement that is material to criminal investigation” to a “peace officer or special federal investigator,” or “any employee of law enforcement that is authorized by the agency to conduct the investigation, and that the actor knows is conducting the investigation.” Most often in criminal proceedings, the peace officer is a police officer. You must know that the report you are making is false. It is a defense to the prosecution if you believe the report to be true, but it turns out later to be false.

If you are charged with the crime of making a false report to a peace officer, it is important that you retain legal counsel right away. Having a conviction on your record could cost you jail time, fines, and even your employment and housing. Jason Trumpler has over 15-years handling criminal cases and taken approximately 100 jury trials to verdict. Call us today at (512) 359-3300.

Potential Consequences

Typically, providing a false report to a peace officer, a federal investigator, or law enforcement employee is a Class B Misdemeanor.

If you are convicted of a Class B Misdemeanor, potential consequences include:

• Up to 6-months of jail.

• A fine of up to $2,000

Some individuals believe that the report they are providing a police officer or other civil servant to be true at the time. Other individuals will call to amend a report that they gave previously, only to end up facing criminal charges themselves.

Contact Us

We will examine the details of your case in order to find and provide the best possible defense to you. Jason Trumpler has successfully gotten hundreds of individuals’ charges reduced or dismissed. He currently practices in Central Texas counties including Travis, Williamson, Bastrop, Burnet, Bell, Hays, Comal, Coryell, and Lee. We can be reached at (512) 359-3300.